Thieves see people using cash machines as easy prey. Be sure to take precautions when withdrawing cash.
Here is some advice from the Police:
- Keep your bank card within your sight at all times.
- Do not keep your PIN numbers with your credit cards.
- Take precautions against prying eyes.
- Shield the keypad when entering your PIN.
- If somebody nearby gets too close, ask them to move away. If they don't move, cancel the transaction and leave.
- Be particularly careful if, after withdrawing your cash, your card is retained and a "good samaritan" offers to try and get it back, asking you to enter your PIN again. This could be an attempt to steal your card.
- Don't withdraw more cash than you really need.