Contact the Police if you have been the victim of a scam or an attempted scam.
Even if you have not suffered a significant loss, it is important to file a complaint to help stop further scams and prevent other people falling into the same trap.
If necessary, cancel your credit cards immediately by contacting SIX Payment Services (Europe) s.a. (tel: (+352) 49 10 10).
Nowadays, many scams or attempted scams are committed online.
- If you have granted a fraudster access to your computer, disconnect your computer from the Internet immediately.
- Uninstall any software the fraudsters made you install.
- If you have made an online payment using a credit card, you must contact your bank so they can cancel the card you used.
- Change all passwords on your computer and for all your online accounts (email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Similarly, change the security questions used if you forget your password.
- If necessary, ask a specialist to examine your computer, so they can remove any malware installed by the fraudsters.
If the scam has caused any loss or damage, you can file a complaint with the Police.
Gather any information that may prove what happened and any loss incurred. Make a note of any details you received from the fraudsters, such as telephone numbers, names and website addresses, and pass them on to the Police when you file your complaint.