Availability, accountability, public service. This is the motto of Police Lëtzebuerg, reflected in the slogan on its police cars: ZESUMME FIR IECH – TOGETHER FOR YOU.
The Police currently has 59 sites and police departments across four regions. With 13 police departments operating 24/7, it provides a permanent presence covering the entire country.
The Police can be contacted in an emergency by calling the emergency number 113.
The Police is a national service in charge of internal security. It ensures individual freedoms and rights are respected and helps to protect them, by taking preventive, proactive, dissuasive and repressive measures.
The Police's general law enforcement role includes:
- maintaining public order,
- ensuring the law and general and communal Police regulations are implemented and respected,
- crime prevention,
- the protection of people and property.
The Police's crime investigation role involves, among other things:
- investigating crimes, offences and other violations, recording them, gathering evidence, informing the judicial authorities and finding, arresting and handing over the alleged perpetrators to the judicial authorities,
- conducting enquiries and investigative measures ordered by the judicial authorities.