Fraudsters have a number of tricks to gain access to your home under false pretences. Some fraudsters dress up to make you think you are talking to a tradesperson, a doctor or sometimes even a police officer, all with the aim of getting into your home. If the fraudster does manage to get inside, it is often already too late.
To avoid this type of scam, remember the following advice:
- Use the spy hole, windows or intercom before you open the door.
- Never let a stranger into your home.
- Only take in packages for neighbours when you have arranged to do so.
- Only let in workers/tradespeople you have called.
- Always ask to see an identity document.
- Display a "No cold calling" sticker to show you do not answer to doorstep sellers.
Remember, all police officers in Luxembourg speak fluent Luxembourgish and carry identification. If you are in any doubt, call the emergency number 113.