The use of mobile devices is one of the factors that most affect driving ability. This behaviour causes unnecessary manoeuvres and constitutes an even more dangerous source of distraction for road safety.
Road users who do not obey the Luxembourg Highway Code regarding the use of telephone systems or devices with an illuminated screen are liable to be penalised as follows:
- Art. 170bis-01: Failure by the driver of a vehicle to obey the prohibition on carrying a device that hinders clear perception of traffic noise (€24)
- Art. 170bis-02: Use by the driver of telephone equipment that is not securely fixed in the vehicle or incorporated into the safety helmet (€145 - 4 points)
- Art. 170bis-03: Release of one hand from the steering wheel or handlebars by the driver using telephone equipment for operations other than switching on or off such equipment, when the vehicle being driven is moving (€145 - 4 points)
- Art. 170bis-04: Use by the driver of a moving vehicle of telephone equipment that does not allow them to keep both hands on the steering wheel or handlebars while listening and communicating (€145 - 4 points)
- Art. 170bis-05: Release of the controller or a significant change in driving position by the driver of a tram in order to use telephone equipment, when the vehicle being driven is moving (€74)
- Art. 170bis-06: Use by the driver of a moving vehicle of a device with an illuminated screen, which is not incorporated into the vehicle and does not constitute a driving or navigational aid (€145 - 4 points)